Tom,

I'm not a PC kinda guy, and don't deal with ms access.  But, I asked a
couple of the PC support folk here, and no one is aware of any native
crypto support in ms access.

My guess is that you'll need to write a java component on the host
running ms access that can talk to the database, and then either talk
sockets or use an RMI interface to talk to it.  So long as it's Java on
both ends you can do just about any kind of encryption you want from
within Java (of course, you'll need to install JSSE and JCE packages).

The other option would be if there's a type-3 JDBC driver -- which
normally will have a server component on the dbhost and a client
component on your client machine, in this case the server hosting the
jsp.  And then the question you'll want to ask is whether there are any
that do encryption between the client and the server.

Go to http://industry.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers, and from
there you can do a search for drivers that Sun is aware of -- I think
the search returned 11 different vendors.  There may also be other web
sources for the information, but the Sun page is the only one I've
checked out.  Since type-3 drivers talk their own proprietary protocols
between the client and server components, it's certainly possible that
one or more of them can use TLS or some other encryption mechanism.

I wish I had a more helpful answer for you, but all I can really tell
you is where I'd look.

-- Rob

--On Friday, March 09, 2001 04:21:43 PM +0000 Thomas O' Connor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know a simple way to encrypt information sent from a jsp
> page hosted on tomcat and then decrypt the info when it reaches the
> database(ms access). Any help appreciated.
> Tom.

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]