Hi,

are sure your tomcat's running at all? You know, that in order to run tomcat on port 80, you have to start it with root privileges!
Check this out by running netstat -l . This lists you all open ports on your system....

Regards,

Thilo

Hi,
I am newbie to JSP and tomcat.
I tried to write the MyFirstServlet class and failed to do so.

problem1
when I tried to change the port 8080 to 80 in the server.xml then Mozila
browser refuses to open the tomcat welcome page.(But the book I refer
says to change the port).

I compile and did every thing according to the book. But still it gives

The requested resource
(/ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.MyFirstServlet) is not
available.

what could be the reason. I went through the previous mail and didn't
get any help.
All the spellings are correct(including cases as I use Linux)
The book stated no need to have web.xml for simple servlets.

Thank you for your great suggestion.

regards,
Jeyakumaran