Hi Saeed
I think this better that you don't put CATALINA_HOME in your environment variables,
because TOMCAT recognizes that automatically (because this same as Tomcat installation
dir), plus you can put the JAVA_HOME directly in setclasspath.bat (in bin dir).
In installaton time you must indicate your JAVA_HOME.After that you must don't change
your JAVA_HOME or create an environment variable for that.

By

Sayeed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam

I do not know much about the Question - so sorry sir/madam as i am new to
this thing.

I do have however question from you.

I start learning JSP and ohter J2EE tools recently.
I buy a book of "Professional JSP 2nd Edition".

Sir i am facing a problem:

I dowload jakarta_tomcat 4.1.30.exe from the website.

I already do have jdk1.3 at my PC ( iam using win98 OS).

Now after installing jakarta_tomcat to a folder "c\apache\tomcat",
I create two environment variables into my Autoexe.bat file as under :

set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.3
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\APACHE\TOMCAT

Now when I Start Tomcat - a DOS base window is opened and remained active
for few seconds and then close automatically. Also i try Startup.bat file at
MS DOS promt, it shows some lines as follows:

C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>startup
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\APACHE\TOMCAT\temp
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\jdk1.3
C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>
And in the mid also a new DOS base window shows a name 'Java' opened for few
seconds and automatically closed.

Sir/Madam, whats the wrong with the tomcat? coz as per book instructions it
must shows a Catalina named window and remained active till I did not issue
a command Shutdown.

So please guide me what I should do in this connection in detail.

An early reply shall highly bhe appreicated.

Saeed
Programmer