I have defined the resource in web.xml as below... and also defined the
datasouce resources under context in server.xml... even then it does not
help.. I get the same error "org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Name
prototypedb is not bound in this Context"
 Web.xml
<web-app>
<description>PrototypeDB Test App</description>
 <resource-ref>
 <description>DB Connection</description>
<res-ref-name>jdbc/prototypedb</res-ref-name>
 <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
 </resource-ref>
 </web-app>
server.xml
==========
<!-- JNDI datasource setup to connect to MYSQL database-->
        <Context path="/PrototypeDBTest" docBase="PrototypeDBTest"
                debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true"
useNaming="true">

             prefix="localhost_PrototypeDBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>
             <Resource name="jdbc/prototypedb"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

        <ResourceParams name="jdbc/prototypedb">
        <parameter>
          <name>factory</name>
        </parameter>

        <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make sure you
         configure your mysqld max_connections large enough to handle
         all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
        <parameter>
          <name>maxActive</name>
          <value>100</value>
        </parameter>

        <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain in pool.
         Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
        <parameter>
         <name>maxIdle</name>
         <value>30</value>
        </parameter>

         <!-- Maximum time to wait for a dB connection to become
available
         in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An Exception is thrown if
         this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to wait indefinitely.
         -->
        <parameter>
         <name>maxWait</name>
         <value>10000</value>
        </parameter>

        <!-- MySQL dB username and password for dB connections  -->
        <parameter>
          <name>username</name>
          <value>antonio</value>
        </parameter>
        <parameter>
          <name>password</name>
          <value>play</value>
        </parameter>

        <!-- Class name for mm.mysql JDBC driver -->
        <parameter>
          <name>driverClassName</name>
          <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
        </parameter>

        <!-- The JDBC connection url for connecting to your MySQL dB.
         The autoReconnect=true argument to the url makes sure that the
         mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically reconnect if mysqld
closed the
         connection.  mysqld by default closes idle connections after 8
hours.
         -->
        <parameter>
        <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/prototypedb?autoReconnect=true</value

        </parameter>
</ResourceParams>
</Context>

=========