ok sayeed,
just open ur command prompt and give
cmd>set
classpath=%classpath%;C:\Apache\Tomcat\common\lib\servlet.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\lib\tools.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\dt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\lib\rt.jar;.
now compile ur java file (ex: javac sayeed)
if it works,it's may be the problem with classpath that u have given.

Sayeed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
dear sir and Shivjuluru

these are my Paths:

set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
set CLASSPATH=C:\Apache\Tomcat\common\lib\servlet.jar

but still when I compile my servlet file (sayeed) it give the same erros:

C:\Apache\Tomcat\webapps\ch03\WEB-INF\calsses\com\wrox\projsp\ch03\myfirstwe
bapp> javac sayeed.java

sayeed.java:5: package javax.servlet.http does not exist
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
^
sayeed.java:6: package javax.servlet.http does not exist