The best advise I can give you is to use a proper logging API :
Log4J is great :
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/download.html

Just put your log4j.properties file in the classpath of your webapp (WEB-INF/classes),
and log4j will automatically use this configuration.
Note :
1. log4j.appender.FILE.File=C:/log4j.log  : this is the file where your log will be.
2. log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender : you should see the same
log in your tomcat window.

Here is an example of log4j.properties :

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, CONSOLE, FILE
log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
# CONSOLE uses PatternLayout.
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
# The conversion pattern uses format specifiers. You might want to
# change the pattern an watch the output format change.
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r %-5p [%t] %37c %3x - %m%n
# File Appender
log4j.appender.FILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.FILE.File=C:/log4j.log
log4j.appender.FILE.MaxFileSize=10000KB
log4j.appender.FILE.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r %-5p [%t] %37c %3x - %m%n