I am trying to set up a JDBC Realm on tomcat 3.2.1. After modifying the
server.xml file (shown below), tomcat will no longer start.

I am quite new to tomcat and Linux, in genral.

I have not modified any of the other xml files (the web.xml for my
application, for instance).

I have set up my database (Postgresql) as described in the JDBC Realms
How-To.
I'm running on Linux (Corel, if it matters).
I've added the mod_jk.so; Apache handles static HTML and routes requests for
JSPs and Servlets to Tomcat. This appears to work fine.

Here is my entry in the server.xml file

     <RequestInterceptor
            className="org.apache.tomcat.request.JDBCRealm"
            debug="99"
            driverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/mysite_userdb"
            userTable="users"
            userNameCol="user_name"
            userCredCol="user_pass"
            userRoleTable="user_roles"
            roleNameCol="role_name" />

Here is the error I get when I try to start Tomacat

FATAL:java.lang.RuntimeException: JDBCRealm.start.readXml: The user property
is missing. It is mandatory.
java.lang.RuntimeException: JDBCRealm.start.readXml: The user property is
missing. It is mandatory.
        at org.apache.tomcat.request.JDBCRealm.contextInit(JDBCRealm.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.initContext(ContextManager.java,
Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.init(ContextManager.java,
Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java, Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java, Compiled Code)

I have all the necessary databases set up, I can connect to postgres from
stand-alone programs. I have the JDBC drivers in the classpath and in the
tomcat/lib directory.

If I remove the connectionURL line or the driverName line, I get appropriate
error messages telling me that these attributes are required.

If I remove the RequestInterceptor entry for JDBC realms entirely, tomcat
starts, and I can run servlets and JSPs.

I'm not sure what a user property is... is this a simple oversight that I'm
missing?

Cheers, and thanks,

Eric