Create a thread dump to see how many threads you
have and what they are doing.

kill -QUIT <tomcat pid>

This will just produce a thread dump and not stop tomcat.

The output will get to catalina.out unless you have
mapped stdout to a different file.

132875.html

However, the resolution to that referred to problematic versions which we
aren't using

Our exact versions are below..

linux Red Hat EL
kernel 2.4.21-17.ELsmp  (as per recommendation on Bug 120341 for ibm blades)
tomcat 4.1.30
apache 2.0.49
mod_jk 2.04
glibc 2.3.2-95.20