> From: Stephen Charles Huey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: 1067 error when starting service after allocating more memory to JVM
>
> Aren't the parameters
> -Xmx and -Xms
> specific to tomcat.exe and not to Windows?

Sounds like you're not that familiar with JVM execution, so you might want to brush up
on that aspect using some of the online tutorials on the Sun web site (and other
places).

The tomcat.exe executable is used when running Tomcat as a Windows service, and then
only as a launcher for the JVM; Tomcat itself is pure Java, and you can run it as a
regular Java program, if need be.  (It's a lot easier to test things out that way.)
In any event, all I'm suggesting you do is try something like the following, from a
command prompt:

        java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -version
        java -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -version
        java -Xms1280m -Xmx1280m -version
        (etc.)

where you're varying the heap sizes in powers of two increments trying to find the
largest values that will work on your server.  (I'm assuming the 2nd example above
will fail - it does on my XP boxes, but works on my Win2K one.)  Use -version, since
that is the fastest way in and out of the JVM (no program need be executed).  Once
you've found the maximum heap size that can be allocated, you can use that for your
Tomcat environment.  (You may have to reduce it a little since Windows needs space in
the process virtual memory for such things as a stack for each thread, and Tomcat can
kick off a lot of threads.)  Whether you want to keep the minimum and maximum the same
depends a lot on your workload; larger heap sizes take longer to garbage collect, so
you may want the default lower to reduce delay time during not-so-busy periods.

You should really size your heap on what you actually need at times of peak load.
Setting it to the maximum possible is not always the best for server responsiveness.

 - Chuck

THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and
is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.