On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:00:22PM -0400, ohaya wrote:
: I just got back, and as I mentioned earlier, I unzipped the original
: .ZIP file, and I guess at least PART of the mystery is solved.
: Immediately after unzipping the file, I checked in the
: conf\Catalina\localhost directory, and there are only the 3 .xml files
: that you mentioned.
:
: Now the thing that I'm wondering is where did those others come from.
: At this point, it's clear that Tomcat must've created them (I'm 100%
: sure I didn't create them), at some point.  I'm just not sure when or
: why...

There are 2 ways for the {tomcat}/conf/{...}.xml files to be created:

1/ META-INF/context.xml is extracted from a WAR file when it is deployed
 and copied there.
 (Unless the matching XML file already exists under conf/, in which case
  the WAR file's context.xml is ignored)

2/ The file is manually copied there by someone.

The servlet-examples.xml and jsp-examples.xml files are included in the
default Tomcat distro, and remain there unless explicitly removed.  For
example, to address the issue mentioned in point #1, I periodically
clear out the conf/{...}/*.xml files.

Here's an experiment and learning exercise for you: edit server.xml,
change the <Engine> element's "name" attr, then bounce Tomcat.  Notice
under {tomcat}/conf/ there's a new dir that matches the <Engine> name.

What files are under that directory, now?

I realize this may be confusing at times because there's a lot to
absorb when leaping into Tomcat (or any container, for that matter).
Give it time, and soon you'll know all of this by heart. =)

btw, if you use separate Tomcat instances (check the docs for
CATALINA_HOME vs CATALINA_BASE) then this is moot: the only
context-related XML files under {instance dir}/conf/ will be the ones
for your webapps, not the samples. ;)  But that's another story for
another day.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net