As you can see, there's no context reference in the error message.
I think that a error with a web.xml's context shoudn't invalidate all tomcat startup.

Thanks for the help
Emerson

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.24-LE-jdk14
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources).
5896 [main] ERROR digester.Digester - Parse Error at line 188 column -1: Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here.
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.error(Parser2.java:3160)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.ValidatingParser$ChildrenValidator.consume(ValidatingParser.java:349)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1317)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1779)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1507)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:500)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:305)
at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:442)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1543)

Schalk Neethling wrote:
I may be in error here but, the client/team from which app the web.xml is causing the error should see that their site is not working. Where the other sites where the web.xml was parsed correctly should see their sites working. If I am correct in this it would be a matter of contacting all clients, or testing yourself if possible, and ask them to see whether their site/app is running.

The one that is not, is probably the one with the error in their web.xml and then they can fix the problem and place the <servlet> tag in the right place.

Emerson Cargnin wrote:

I have a server that has more than 30 apps from different teams.
When starting tomcat i got the erro below

6310 [main] ERROR digester.Digester - Parse Error at line 188 column -1: Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here.
at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.error(Parser2.java:3160)

The problem is that I can not identify what app yhas the error. That's just a suggestion for the dev team. Or I missed something?

--
Emerson Cargnin
Analista de Sistemas - Gerente Regional Auxiliar - Tubarão