Hi, thats good that you started this as a service, we just done same with
our application, and may be our discussion help each other.

Here is exact information about logs of Tomcat when running as a service.
1- All System.out.print go to $:\Tomcat4.1\logs\stdout.log
2- All System.err.print go to $:\Tomcat4.1\logs\stderr.log
3- All other loggers like Log4j etc go to there respective streams.

Now if you want to see the live logs exactly like Tomcat running as a stand
alone server you will install cygwin and use folllowing command.
tail -f c:/Tomcat4.1/logs/stdout.log

etc.

I wish we could communicate as we also have some unresolved issues like
printing from POS terminals, which are under R&D.
Also keep in mind that as a service JVM is picking JAVA_OPTS or not. Or you
will have to edit some registry values.

S H A K E E L   A H M A D
(EE, SCJP, SCWCD & SCBCD)

Northstar Technologies, Inc.