i agree, when I define my 5 JNDI datasources within

  /conf/Catalina/localhost/webapp.xml

on startup of tomcat I get a bunch of error messages saying JDBC is not bound for all
my resources.

I have a servlet context listener that configures a bunch of manager objects each of
which attempts to init its private datasource via JNDI resolution. It appears to me
that Tomcat is not ready with its JNDI resources yet and manages to call the servlet
context listener before JNDI is bound.

after these errors, Tomcat appears to initialise my webapp again, and this time the
JNDI resources are available and my app works.

odd.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055