Hi,

I have an application running on my machine in Tomcat 5 via IIS using
the ISAPI adaptor. I also have this application running on a different
machine setup through IIS on that machine. I now want to test balancing
the application on both machines via one of the IIS servers.

I have followed the instructions in the book I got on Apache by wrox,
but each time I call into the application the request hangs forever.
Forever defined as > 5 minutes. It appears that tomcat is being
contacted, the CPU jumps for a sec on the tomcat process, but nothing
happens after that.

To simplify I am now trying to setup load balancing with just my one
instance on my machine figuring that after I get that working it will be
easier to translate it to both instances. This is failing, also. I
believe I simply have something misconfigured, but my settings match
what the book is showing and I have tried several variations.

My workers2.properties files are below, both non-balanced (working) and
balanced (hanging). The jk2.properties file remains unchanged for each
setup.

My machine is Win2K Pro, IIS5, Tomcat 5.0.27 running with JDK 1.4.2_01.
I am confident that my installation is good with the non-balanced file
in place. I have put a fair amount of load through the application using
an http testing utility, it served > 140 requests/second on my desktop
machine.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Peter Fournier

//////////////// BEGIN Server.xml change (only showing changed Engine
section)
    <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via JK/JK2 ie
: -->
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0"
jvmRoute="pfournierTomcat">

    <!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->
    <!-- Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0" -->
//////////////// END Server.xml change

//////////////// BEGIN WORKING workers2.properties FILE (entire file)
[logger]
info=Native logger
level=ERROR

[config:]
file=${serverRoot}/conf/workers2.properties
debug=1
debugEnv=1

[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests.
debug=1

[shm]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with
multiprocess servers
file=c:/Tomcat5/work/jk2.shm
debug=0

[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=0
debug=1

[lb:lb]
Info=default load balancer
debug=1

[channel.socket:localhost:8019]
host=pfournier
port=8019

[ajp13:pfournier:8019]
channel=channel.socket:pfournier:8019

[uri:/admin]
info=Tomcat HTML based administration web application.
debug=0

[uri:/manager]
info=A scriptable management web application for the Tomcat Web Server.
debug=0

[uri:/*.jsp]
info=JSP Extension mapping.
debug=0

[uri:/ZipCode/ZipCodeLookup]
info=ZipCodeApplication
debug=0

[status:]

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
group=status
//////////////// END WORKING workers2.properties FILE

//////////////// BEGIN Load Balanced workers2.properties FILE (entire
file)
[logger]
info=Native logger
level=ERROR

[config:]
file=${serverRoot}/conf/workers2.properties
debug=1
debugEnv=1

[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests.
debug=1

[shm]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with
multiprocess servers
file=c:/Tomcat5/work/jk2.shm
debug=0

[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=0
debug=1

[lb:lb]
Info=default load balancer
debug=1

[lb:PetesLB]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8019
timeout=30
attempts=2
recovery=90
stickySession=1
noWorkersMsg=Server busy please try back later.
noWorkerCodeMsg=503

[channel.socket:localhost:8019]
host=localhost
port=8019
tomcatId=pfournierTomcat
group=PetesLB
lb_factor=1
route=pfournierTomcat

[ajp13:localhost:8019]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8019

[uri:/admin]
info=Tomcat HTML based administration web application.
debug=0

[uri:/manager]
info=A scriptable management web application for the Tomcat Web Server.
debug=0

[uri:/*.jsp]
info=JSP Extension mapping.
debug=0

[uri:/ZipCode/ZipCodeLookup]
info=ZipCodeApplication
debug=0
context=/ZipCode
group=PetesLB

[status:]

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
group=status
//////////////// END Load Balanced workers2.properties FILE