I have a problem that a request to Tomcat through IIS redirector is
occasionally not responding and resulting in web site on IIS being
locked out to everyone.  Only the port being used is blocked i.e. if
port 80 is blocked the web site is still available on 443 and any other
web sites on the IIS machine are available.  Tomcat can be accessed
using anything other than the blocked web site/port.  The block times
out after about 5 minutes.

The combination of software/hardware to cause this is
IE5 or 5.5
Microsoft proxy server 2.0 / NT4 SP6a
128K connection
IIS4 / NT4 SP6a
IIS Redirector (any using ajp12 or ajp13)
Tomcat 3.2.1 / NT4 SP6a

We cannot reproduce the problem internally, only from a remote office
but from there it can be made to happen within at most a couple of
minutes.  Netscape 4.7 works OK and putting a TCP Tunnel between IE and
the proxy server resulted in it working!  Using Apache 1.3.19 on the web
server also works.

The fact that the Web site is getting locked suggests that the problem
is in the ISAPI layer i.e. iis-redirector.  If if was simply the client
failing I wouldn't be so concerned but because it can be used to block
the web site it is potentially a very serious problem if it occurs a a
client site.

The inconsistent nature of the problem suggest some communication or
timing problem.

Has anyone ever seen this behavior or have any suggestions on where the
problem might lie?

thanks

Graham Wright

Information in this email is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
system. You should not otherwise copy, retransmit, use or disclose its
contents to anyone.