Hello list.

Just joined the list and I'm very new to Tomcat.

I have a problem accessing the administration webapp and manager webapp
links from the default Tomcat home page.
The following is listed on the home page:

NOTE: For security reasons, using the administration webapp is restricted to
users with role "admin". The manager webapp is restricted to users with role
"manager". Users are defined in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml.

This is the code from tomcat_users.xml :
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="express" password="thames" roles="manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

And this is a snippet from server.xml :
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
   debug="99" digest="MD2" />

I've looked at the manuals, etc. but it just does not seem to work - access
always fails.
Can anyone see the obvious mistake here.
Thanks in advance.
Michael Simpson
Systems Development
Express Newspapers
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
020-7922-7225 (w)
020-7922-7799 (f)

The NMA: Opening Up Newspapers http://www.nmauk.co.uk

Visit Express Newspapers and OK Magazine online picture archive at
http://www.expresspictures.com/

###2004###
Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Express Newspapers
and/or privileged material.If you are not the intended recipient
of this message please do not read ,copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be
noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
E-mail communications may be monitored.