Are you talking about the default web.xml in tomcat's conf directory,
or an application specific web.xml in your application's WEB-INF
directory?  Also, is there other evidence that the web.xml file is not
beibg read (other specifications that are being ignored)?  You might
also try setting permissions to 000 (instead of 777) to see if tomcat
complains about not being able to read the file, and have you looked at
the logs tomcat generates and have you up'd the logging level to get
more detail?  The other thought that comes to mind is have you checked
your spelling?  I'm an ace typo kinda guy, and whenever I have a really
wierd problem (your's falls into that category), that's the first thing
I look for -- oops, index starts with an "i" doesn't it!  And yup
[sic], I do that kind of thing to myself all the time.

-- Rob
--On Wednesday, March 14, 2001 03:23:19 PM +0530 Manjul Sahay
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using Tomcat 3.1 on RedHat linux 6.0 system.
> Tomcat is working fine with jsps being served.
>
> However, Tomcat does not seem to be reading the web.xml file in the
> WEB-INF directory of the application contexts.
> Even for the examples context of tomcat distribution i see a directory
> listing of files, even with index.jsp present in the directory but
> when executed index.jsp works just fine.
>
> The same version running on Windows NT machine is having no problems.
> Also I tried the same with Tomcat 3.2 :) but it didnt work either.
>
> Eagerly looking forward for help and suggestions.
>
> - manjul sahay
>
> P.S i even changed all permissions to 777 to make Tomcat read and
> write and do all that it wants, ;) But !

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]