On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:22:42AM +0100, Chris Ward wrote:
: I imagine spreading the apps over multiple Tomcats/machines would allow
: me
: to do more in-memory caching.  Feels like this is a move toward Web
: Services
: - I don't know much about them.

This seems to have grown into a general app design question, of which
I'm little help since I'm not working on your team. ;)

All I can say, then, is to take a high-level look at what's supposed to
happen and go from there.  Ask yourself, what's to be achieved from
storing this XML?  Is it acceptable to lose it on system restart/crash
or is it part of some corporate doc-retention policy? What are your
tradeoffs between CPU (parsing XML from disk), RAM (storing in memory),
and network (pushing data between hosts)?

If you design this with flexibility in mind, you can easily move between
in-memory, on-disk, and fetched-from-elsewhere storage (aka web services
or another webapp).

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net