Try turning off ip to name resolution, this can sometimes be very slow and
seemingly affect different PCs/servers differently.  I'm no expert on what
might cause the slowdown in your case, but I have experienced what sound
like similar problems in the past.

>From the default server.xml file for v5.0.27:
         By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls
         request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
         performance, so you can disable it by setting the
         "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are
disabled,
         request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the
         IP address of the remote client.

The same adverse impact can also be caused when converting IP to name for
logging purposes.