Your folder structure doesn't look right -- no WEB-INF folder. You might want to take a look at the servlet specification or a good book on tomcat. Think of a structure like this:

$CATALINA_HOME (essentially the top of the Tomcat install directory)
- config
- server
- common
- shared
- logs (... you get the idea. These folders are already present)
- webapps
- (folder named after your webapp's context) <-- *top of your code here*
- (some .jsp stuff / static resources)
- WEB-INF
- classes
- (your classes here in a standard java package hierarchy)
- lib
- (supporting .jar files here)
- web.xml

-- David

Christian Ruediger wrote:

Hi folks,
after trying the complex aproach without any success, I started a
lowtech approach. I simply want a small servlet deployed. Can't be too
complicated.

What I have:
Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server
Win 2000
j2sdk1.4.2_05

I constructed the following structure in tomcats webapp folder:

webapp -
  - classes
      - testserveur
          - XML_RPC_Servlet.class
  - libs
  - web.xml

(dont bother the name XML_RPC_Servlet.its for future purposes.
currently only text is displayed -> see code below)

web.xml is as follows:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//
DTD WebApplication 2.2//EN"
"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd";>

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
version="2.4">
<display-name>Testservlet</display-name>
<context-parameter>
<param-name>Lieblingsfarbe</param-name>
<param-value>rot</param-value>
</context-parameter>
<servlet>
<servlet-name>XML_RPC_Testserveur</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>
testserveur.RPC_XML_Servlet
</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>XML_RPC_Testserveur</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/XML_RPC_Testserveur</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

code is as follows:

public class XML_RPC_Servlet extends HttpServlet{

protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest req,
HttpServletResponse res)
throws ServletException, IOException
{
res.setContentType("text/html");
PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
out.println("<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Hello There!</TITLE>"+
"</HEAD><BODY>Hello There!</BODY></HTML>");
out.close();
}
public String getServletInfo()
{
return "HelloClientServlet 1.0 by Stefan Zeiger";
}
}

What i did:
-Started Tomcat (is configured to localhost:8080)
-opened Browser
-typed http://localhost:8080/XML_RPC_Testserveur

- got only a message that the resource is unavailable (in french):

type Rapport d'état
message /XML_RPC_Testserveur
description La ressource demandée (/XML_RPC_Testserveur) n'est pas disponible.