Lawrence J Winkler wrote:
I want log4j to write its output to the webapps/[application dir]/WEB-INF/logs directory. The log4j properties file is located in the WEB-INF/classes directory, as specified.

Monitoring trace of log4j's process, shows log4j is unable to find (create) the requested files.

I believe Tomcat is not allowing the application to write into WEB-INF/logs subdirectory. How do I direct Tomcat to allow this functionality?
take a look at catalina.policy in the conf directory, in the file
you can find some examples.

edoardo