From: Robert Walther [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 5:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IIS slow and fast

File Download from ONE is slow, ALL other configs are FAST

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows 2000
Professional
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       SLOW            |               |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> |       IE6     |

|       JK2                     |   FROM CART   |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows 2000
Professional
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | ANY OTHER     |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> | BROWSER       |

|       JK2                     |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows XP and Mac OSX
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | IE 6  |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> | or Safari     |

|       JK2                     |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Linux RedHat ES 3.0:                            ALL Client OS's
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            |ANY Browser|   |
|       Apache          |-------------> |               |
|       JK                      |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Downloading a file from our website's cart to a Windows 2000 Pro desktop
running latest IE 6 is slow and takes 15 seconds

Downloading the same file to a Windows XP box running IE 6, a Windows
Pro box running Mozilla, and a Mac OSX running safari takes approx 1
second.  Linux / Apache is fast to all clients.

Spoke with Microsoft, we put a 1M file in a virtual directory on IIS.
It downloaded in approx 1 second to Windows Pro / IE6.  So they say "not
our problem" talk to the Tomcat / mod_jk users.

But, When I take IIS/mod_jk out of the picture, and go directly to
Tomcat on 8080 the download is fast on the Windows Pro / IE6.  I still
think it's a MS issue anyone know why the download is slow between IIS 6
and Windows 2000 Pro / IE6 and fast to all other clients.

Confounded.  Any suggestions????  Thanks!!

Rob Walther
Senior System Architect

---