--On Thursday, October 21, 2004 08:41:03 PM -0400 Ben Souther
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2 things:
>
> 1.) Tomcat doesn't use your system's classpath variable.  It's got it's
> own class loaders.
>
> 2.) Starting with Tomcat 5.5 you won't need to install a full jdk as
> this version ships with it's own compiler.  So, things should get
> easier.

That gave me a brilliant idea.  The logfile catalina.out has a lot more
detail then just the javacc error and stacktrace that gets returned to the
browser.  It gives me the entire classpath and since the compile failed, the
java source for the jsp was left in:

CATALINA_HOME/work/Standalone/localhost/examples/jsp/snp/snoop_jsp.java

I set the environment CLASSPATH to full full path (which all pointed into
various directories under CATALINE_HOME) and tried to compile the code
manually. I got the same exact error:

> javac snoop_jsp.java
>
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/work/Standalone/localhost/examples/jsp/snp
> /snoop_jsp.java:102: handlePageException(java.lang.Exception) in
> javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext cannot be applied to (java.lang.Throwable)
> if (pageContext != null) pageContext.handlePageException(t);
>                                           ^
> 1 error

Several folks have suggested that I might have duplicate or out of date
jasper jars in the classpath, but this way I was able to verify that the
classpath points strictly to jar files within the jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31 tree,
and since it was a clean install into a new directory (not overlaid on an
earlier tomcat version), that pretty much eliminates that as a problem.

Especially after closely examining the error itself, what I wonder is whether
there is an incompatibility between v4.1.31 and j2sdk1.4.2_02 that could be
the root cause of the problem?

Thanks.

--
Rob Tanner