Hey Michael,

I think you can used ${catalina.base} or other system env variables inside server.xml and context.xml
for an absolute path information. Only problem with this handling is, don't save your server.xml oder context.xml
with the admin application.

Tipp: use a db resource path outside your application, than deployer can delete all
files without you lose the data! ;-)

hope it works,
Peter

Michael Schuerig schrieb:

I'm trying to run HSQLDB in in-process mode in a web application. For this I've added a resource definition to the context file:

 <Resource name="jdbc/verzeichnisdb" auth="Container"
  type="javax.sql.DataSource" username="sa" password=""
  driverClassName="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"
  url="jdbc:hsqldb:file:/WEB-INF/db/verzeichnisdb;ifexists=true"
  maxActive="3" maxIdle="2"/>

No problem so far. But there is a problem, when HSQLDB tries to open the database and can't find it:

   java.sql.SQLException: Database does not exists:
   file:/WEB-INF/db/verzeichnisdb

Now, what I need is some hook where I can resolve this to an absolute path. Unfortunately, what looks like an ordinary file-URL isn't one. That is, AFAICT, it wouldn't help to resolve this to a jndi-URL (I think that's what Tomcat does). If my understanding is correct, I need an absolute file-URL as HSQLDB interprets the URL scheme to decide how to access the database (server, file in-process, in-memory).

As a last resort, I could run HSQLDB as a server and be done with it. But as only my single web app is using the DB there's no independent reason to do this.

Michael