Quoting Reingold Genna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Jake,
>
> Thanks for our reply.
>
> I have tried common/lib scenario. As a matter of fact I have started with
> that option. However it produces the same result.

Well, not the same result when you remove the jar from WEB-INF/lib as I
recommended.... as you seem to have later stated below.

> I have tried to move ejb-client jar out of of web app. But then I run into
> the problem when the application uses a class loaded by common class loader
> and if the class references another class in the WEB_INF/lib jar (a
> different jar) I get NoClassDefError. Effectively the only safe way to
> install my application in that scenario is to copy all application jars into
> common/lib and that is fundamently wrong.

It sounds like you might have to re-think your circular dependencies.  You need
to make a decision which jars should depend on each other and whether the
dependency direction is one way, both ways, or none at all.  You can't get away
from making this decision no matter the appserver.

> What I don't understand is why my set up works in 4.1.29 and doesn't work in
> 5.0.28.

I can't explain that.  However, I suspect that you tested 4.1.29 on some other
machine than what you have 5.0.28 installed upon.  I would investigate how the
environment might be different.  Different classpaths,  different ways of
starting the server (batch file -vs- a service), etc....  Make sure you try
fresh installs of each version with your app and test both in exactly the same
way.  Then you will be comparing apples to apples and, therefore, getting rid
of extraneous variables that might be clouding the investigation.

Jake