If deploying as a WAR to Tomcat you would have
WEB-INF/web.xml  *and*
META-INF/context.xml   <--- app specific context definition

PJ

Nishant Deshpande wrote:

So - I cannot *not* define a resource at the server level (i.e. not
touch the server.xml or any  other server configuration file) and only
define it in the app configuration files - i.e. web.xml ?

It seems like thats what you are saying below - just want to be sure I
understand clearly.

Thanks