Apple's iTunes application and store is a good example of a private label
browser. The store is a web application (WebObjects based - very cool
technology). Instead of delivering the content via http://... They changed
the protocol to itms:// and registered their iTunes client to be the helper
application for that protocol. They conveniently hid the view source from
their web store.

Itunes is a pretty cool example of doing what you want.

--
Dov Rosenberg
Conviveon Corporation