I'm not sure if this is a bug or a misunderstaning on my part - and I've been searching the archives and googling for most of the day without success...

I've got a problem where URL rewriting is failing to correctly encode the URL when switching from an insecure (non-ssl) connection to a secure ssl connection FOR THE SAME DOMAIN and where the session already exists for the insecure connection and COOKIES ARE DISABLED in the browser. I can reproduce this behaviour with different browsers.

An "action" servlet receives the non-ssl request and redirects to another secure "action" servlet. The call for the redirect should encode the URL as follows in the first servlet's service(request, response) method:

[snip]
if (gotoCheckout)
{
        //goto the checkout
        //this generates the URL
        //https://www.mytestsite.com/CheckoutAction?action=start
        String url = CheckoutAction.getCheckoutActionStartURL(request);

        //make sure the JSESSIONID is appended for non-cookie browsers
        url = response.encodeRedirectURL(url);

        response.sendRedirect(url);
        return;
}