> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Virtual Hosting Questions
>
> It's more of a Java networking question that Tomcat question.  I'm not
> sure how java's InetAddress class likes hosts files: my guess
> is they're ignored.

Using the hosts file is the responsibility of the underlying TCP/IP stack, not
the JRE. This is normally automatic, but may have to be configured on some
platforms.

> >Question 2: Why is the host named localhost?
>
> Localhost is just the default name.  You can substitute any string in
> there, and have as many Hosts as you want inside the Engine, but the
> Host name must be unique within the Engine.

I seem to recall seeing code in some component of Tomcat that explicitly
treated the string "localhost" as 0.0.0.0 (rather than the normal value of
127.0.0.1), just for this one configuration entry.  This allows listening on
all IP addresses configured for the TCP/IP stack.

> Question 3: How would one configure a 'local' virtual host, i.e. a host
> visible only on the box that runs tomcat?

Haven't tried it, but putting 127.0.0.1 in there explicitly should prevent
listening for connection requrests from the network.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.