On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 03:15:46PM +0000, Andoni wrote:
: Ever since a recent conversation about the status of the 4.1.xx branch of the
Tomcat tree I have been wondering about the best route for upgrading the
servers which I manage. Having browsed the Tocmat website and seen the
differences between the different versions I have noticed what's missing.

I have a link on my site for upgrading from 4.1.x -> 5.0.x.

        http://www.brandxdev.net/misc/tomcat_upgrade.site

The 5.0.x -> 5.5.x guide is on the way.

: I think there should be some development effort put into scripts for
upgrading from the previous version of Tomcat.

Have at it!  Where I'm from, such a statement is considered a statement
that you volunteer your time to do this. ;)

In all seriousness, how could there be such a tool?  Most of what Tomcat
does and provides is detailed in the servlet/JSP specs: it must handle
WAR files, it must service JSPs, and so on.  In turn, most of the
upgrade process involves you, the developer, testing and adjusting your
app to fit the new specs.  Looking at the upgrade guide I've assembled,
there were only a couple of changes to Tomcat config files.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com