Sounds like an IE bug. I suspect IE is sending the wrong port information at
some point in the redirect from http to https. To confirm this you'll need to
look at the http headers going back and forth.

One quick test would be to configure tomcat for the default ports (80 for http
and 443 for https). If you use the default ports IE doesn't send any port info
and hence doesn't send the wrong port info.

Mark