<servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
> (No one had ever said before about the
> servlet-mapping directive.)

There are good reasons why the invoker servlet has been removed
(commented out) of the default web.xml in Tomcat.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#evil

You would be much better off to explicitly map each servlet in your
web.xml file.

> (No one had ever said before about the servlet-mapping directive.)
This wasn't covered in the "First Webapp" tutorial?
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/index.html

> I have to compile the servlet,
> copy it to the classes directory, restart Tomcat (which takes several
> minutes) and read the Tomcat logs to find out whats gone wrong!
> Nightmare! <:-o
This is only my 2 cents but I think that, until you have a firm
grasp on how all this works, the method you've just described is
the best way to debug them.  Once you've got it, you might want to speed
things up with an IDE debugger.

There are some little things you can do to speed things up like setting
reloadable to true so you don't need to restart tomcat and by either
putting your src in the the classes directory (or using the -d switch in
javac) so you don't have to copy the class files.  If you're on Unix the
tail -f command will allow you to view your logs as Tomcat writes to
them. There are some editors that will allow you to do the same thing in
Windows. Textpad is one of them.

If you're interested, I put some small simple examples on a website that
you can download and run. They are all WAR files so running them is as
easy as dropping them in your webapps directory.
http://simple.souther.us

Good-Luck
-Ben