On Wednesday 24 November 2004 07:24, Richard wrote:
> Hello Guys,

Hi,

-> If possible load a firewall on the server or before the server with port
forwarding.

-> Close all ports that are not required 110 25 22 21 23 etc.

-> Disable all services that are not required.

-> Load a tripwire if possible.

-> Monitor your server closely.

> Please advise.
>
> For demo purposes I need to expose my machine to the web. I got a
> public IP and have hosted my dev version of my webapp at port 80. im
> using tomcat 5. This machine should be running 24/7 for a couple of
> days and I need to know how I can protect it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Richard
Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power
off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke sternly:
"You can not fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong."  Knight turned the machine off
and on.  The machine worked.