Tim Funk wrote:

> Tomcat knows nothing about NLS_SORT.
>
> Odds are NLS_SORT is probably not set when running on XP.

???
Oracle usually sets values in the registry, and by default only
NLS_LANG, from which the other values are derived.
If you want to change the defaults, you could either define registry
entries for those, or set environment variables.

I use Tomcat as service on NT.
Could it be, that it doesn't get the System environment varible ?
I will try starting Tomcat from the CMD.

Regards,
Harald Henkel

> -Tim
>
> Harald Henkel wrote:
>
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I have a strange problem with data sorting using an Oracle 8.1.7
> > database.
> >
> > I set the database to use binary sorting (NLS_SORT=BINARY), independent
> > from GERMAN language setting.
> > When I'm doing a select on a table with values like
> > A1, A2, ... AA, AB, ... I get the correct result according to binary
> > sorting.
> > Yet, if I'm doing this from Tomcat (4.1.24 on WinXP) the data returned
> > is sorted in GERMAN sorting
> > order, i.e. AA, AB, ..., A1, A2, ...
> >
> > So it seems either Tomcat ignores the setting of the NLS_SORT
> > environment variable,
> > or it is implicitly (by Tomcat) or explicitly (by some library code,
> > which I didn't find yet) overridden.
> >
> > Anybody got an idea, of which might be the case ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Harald Henkel

Harald Henkel

GS automation GmbH