You can also start tomcat in your rc.d init script.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pek Lee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: November 29, 2004 4:37 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat automatically serializes session on shutdown and startup
on Unix

Hi Shapira,

In Windows, I ran Tomcat as a service. However, in Unix I ran Tomcat from
the command line.

I would appreciate if you could provide some information about the
difference between the 2 modes available to startup/shutdown Tomcat.

Cheers,
-Pek Lee-

"Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
In my reply on jakarta-general, I asked whether when you run on windows as a
service or from the command line. Running from the command line, there
should be no difference between HPUX and windows as far as session
persistence goes.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

So
>if you have receive this more than once, sorry! And if you have
replied to
>it, please forward it to me again as I have not receive any respond so
>far...Thanks!

----
>---------------------------
>
>I am running in to known java.io.NotSerializableException issue when
Tomcat
>(4.1.27) shutdown or startup.
>
>The strange thing is that I do not get this error when running the
>application on Tomcat/Windows but seem to be encountering the problem
in
>Tomcat/HP-UX 11i. Does the Tomcat shutdown or startup differently in
>Windows vs. Unix? To workaround that, I basically have to set the
Manager
>component to have pathname="null" and saveOnRestart="false" in
server.xml.

>Could anyone explain the reason I am seeing two different behaviours?
>
>LOG:
>
>2004-11-25 12:49:08 StandardManager[/dcm] IOException while loading
>persisted sessions: java.io.WriteAbortedEx
>
>ception: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException:
>com.documentum.web.form.FormHistory
>
>java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted;
>java.io.NotSerializableException: com.documentum.web.form.Form
>
>History
>
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1278)
>
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:324)
>
>at java.util.HashMap.readObject(HashMap.java:986)
>
>at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>
>at
>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
va:3
>9)
>
>at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
rImp
>l.java:25)
>
>at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>
>at
java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeReadObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:824)

>at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1746)

>at
>java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:164
6)

>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1274)
>
>at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:324)
>
>at
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.readObject(StandardSession.
java
>:1369)
>
>at
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.readObjectData(StandardSess
ion.
>java:864)
>
>at
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.load(StandardManager.java:4
40)

>at
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start(StandardManager.java:
655)

>at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:357
1)

>at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.j
ava:
>821)
>
>at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:807)

>at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:579)

>at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeplo
yer.
>java:307)
>
>at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:772)
>
>at
>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.jav
a:55
>9)
>
>at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:401)

>at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:718)
>
>at
>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:3
58)

>at
>org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleS
uppo
>rt.java:166)
>
>at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1196)

>at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
>
>at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

>at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)

>at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)

>at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)

>at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
>
>at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>
>at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>
>at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>
>at
>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
va:3
>9)
>
>at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
rImp
>l.java:25)
>
>at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>
>at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

>Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to
used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
sender. Thank you.