On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:27:01 -0500, Shapira, Yoav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> regardless of the directory being lib or classes....seems like a bug
> >> me as any file in the classpath should just be a file as a jar file
> >> should have to be added to the classpath like it's a directory.
> >
> >I agree
>
> That's overly simplified.  Unlike the classpath for a normal console
> application, the directory structure of a webapp has special meanings.
> See SRV.9.5 in the Servlet Spec, which tells you what to put in
> WEB-INF/classes and what to put in WEB-INF/lib.  If you put jars in
> WEB-INF/classes, you're at best in questionable territory.

just (re)read the specifications. you should put a jar in WEB-INF/lib
only if you want it mounted in the context classloader.
you can put classes and any other utility _file_ in /WEB-INF/classes
as well as inside any other jar in WEB-INF/lib regardless the
extension/semantics of that file.

>  If you open
> a Bugzilla issue for this, don't be surprised to see it closed as
> invalid or just left unattended.

anyway, I'll not open a bug for this issue

bye
Simone