D. Stimits wrote:

I'm looking for a "good" or "best" practice to deal with site-wide logo type files...things that will never change, and that every app will want access to. This is on linux, but enabling sym links just seems to be an admin/backup complexity, and duplicating logos in every project also seems wrong. I see the shared directory looks ideal, but apparently this is only for classes or libraries. Perhaps a simple logo loader class in the shared folder would be most convenient, but I have to wonder if loading something as simple as a small logo should have to use the overhead of going through a class.

You could place logos and such common stuff in a separate "globa" path, otside all webapps (like in the webserver ROOT). This is totally un-self-contained.

A slight imprvement is to have a set of common classes that know what that "global" path is, could be configurable. That would make you semi-self-contained.

A completely self contained solution is hard to achieve, if not impossible. How can anything OUTSIDE your webapp be a part of self-contained module. I mean, it's outside...

Nix.