I'll agree using the Context Listener for starup/shutdown but you probably
don't need to add JMS to the mix.

As a first approach, you could simply switch all your logging to log4j. I
haven't used it that much but I know it has many types of appenders
(including JMS). Log4j is thread safe and is reported to scale well.

If you need to go beyond that, then you will probably want to read up
on Producer/Consumer type issues in a multithreaded environment. There
are books written on these types of issues but for your type of situation
the
problem boils down to how you decouple the producers (the threads adding
to the log) from the consumer (the TimerTask writing the log). A simple
solution is to put a queue between the two and make sure that
nothing is locked up for too long. Watch out for a common implementation
mistake: having the consumer lock the queue while processing it. A
better solution is to have the consumer take the queue and replace it with
an empty one.

Hope this helps,

Vincent