Dan,
U have 10 application servers on one machine or 10 application on 10 distinct machines ?

Dan Foreman wrote:
Hi,

I have a setup of 10 application servers using Tomcat 4/5, jsdk 1.4.2_02, SMP,
win2k.  In watching the performance under load I am
concerned that only one CPU is being utilized at a time.  To validate my theory
I try hitting the application server with a request
to generate a large report and then making another connection.  The second
connection is painfully slow and task manager only
reports a 50% CPU utilization.  After doing some reading on SMP/native threads
and windows, I wrote a test java application that
spawns n infinite loop threads from a single JVM with a delay between each
creation.  Sure enough one cpu (task manager reporting
50%) and then the other cpu are consumed (task manager reporting 100%).  This
test tells me that Java is capable of using both CPU's
via native threading and some black magic in the windows dll's but that this
scenario isn't happening in tomcat.

Is it possible for tomcat to use more than one CPU or is there a critical flaw
in my logic?

-Dan