Just did some testing on my box. You get a different exception if the port is already in use.

Do you have Tomcat configured to only listen on certain IP(s) rather than all addresses. If so check that you don't have a typo and are trying to request an IP not on the box.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Stratton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Parsons Technical Services" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.0.27-r4 java.net.BindException

It is not. All tomcat shuts down.
If I do a ps -ef after it gives me that error is shows all tomcat
threads have shutdown.
A netstat -a shows 8005 port not in use  and no 8080 port in use.

I am really stumped. I had a problem once like this and was able to
correct it by deleting the work directory. That was a long time ago
though ... like years.