i'm not sure if this is a similar issue to this thread, but i setup a 3 member
tomcat cluster on 1 machine the other night (ensuring that ports were unique)
and also each AJP was unique and so fourth. jk was configured correctly.

i noticed on starting each tomcat, that although it seemed happy to startup
with the cluster configuration, it output that no other members were detected
at that point. All 3 tomcats reported no other members, although each were
convinced they were a member of their own cluster.

i have no logging with me here, but just in case this is the same thing ..
sounds simialr. I was using 5.5.4

Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software