More info and a solution:

I tried 5.5.4 with similar results. I found that I could hit my app at http://localhost:8080/, and use database connectivity, but no matter what I still always got that error at startup.

On a tip from the author of AppFuse I:

mv $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/myapp $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT
mv $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml
Edited ROOT.xml setting docBase="ROOT" (path="" on 5.0.18, or removed completely on 5.5.4).

That did the trick.

Regards,

Ian

Ian Brandt wrote:

Hi Yoav,

Thanks for the reply.  I changed my server.xml as follows:

<Host name="localhost" debug="9" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false"

I restarted, but no change:

Dec 7, 2004 7:56:37 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /myapp from URL file:/Applications/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/myapp

I searched but could not find any other Host declarations, nor any instances of 'autoDeploy' in my conf directory. I tried setting every instance of debug in server.xml to "9", but upon restart I'm not getting any more output in logs/catalina.out than I did with debug="0". I tried removing server.xml altogether to see if was being ignored for some reason, but then tomcat failed to start.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks Again,

Ian

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,
Because you've probably left autoDeploy on for your Host.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com