From: Matt Robinson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 8:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Threads issues in Tomcat 5.0.28

Hi,

We have 5 instances of Tomcat 5.0.28 running on their
own high performance servers (dual XEON / 2GB RAM,
etc) receiving AJP13 connector requests via our main
web server which has IIS 5, IIS redirector, and
Tomcat4.

This works great even under high loads except for one
thing: after several hours of usage (could be 3 hours
or up 24 hours), the number of Tomcat threads on the
5.0.28 systems will suddenly increase at a rapid rate
until Tomcat no longer responds to requests. It will
hit the max # threads (which defaults to 200) and
essentially freeze until it is restarted.

This is strange because this behavior does not seem to
correspond to increased usage of the particular server
it occurs on. We are not sure what is triggering this
and what those Tomcat threads are waiting on [they
remain busy, waiting and unable to be reused by
Tomcat].

My questions are:
1. Has anyone else experienced this kind of Thread
explosion problem?
2. Is there a way to find out exactly what each Tomcat
Thread is doing/waiting for?
3. Is there a way to periodically clear Tomcat's
threadpool -- i.e. get rid of waiting/busy/unusued
threads.

We are working on ways to automatically restart Tomcat
once a certain # of threads is reached, but this is
not an acceptable solution, only a temporary
workaround of course.

Many thanks in advance