[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am using Tomcat 5.5 on WindowsXP. Tomcat is installed as a "service",

Somehow when Tomcat is installed as a Windows service, the shutdown doesn't go through the orderly steps (i.e. servlet destroy()s aren't called, and I suspect the process is just *killed* instead of being made to exit normally).

You may want to have a separate mechanism to delete these temp files instead of waiting for the tomcat exit, anyway. If your Tomcat process lives a long time, you may run out of temp file space - you should have a separate thread or something, and queue up your files to be deleted by that thread, based on some aging criteria..