This sounds like kind of what I want but you've confused me.

I basically want the System.out and stdout from a particular webapp to go to a
specific log file that is rotated and seperate for each webapp.

I've now got log4j working with a log4j.properties in common/classes.
Everything is now logged to a rotated log file which is hunky dorey from that
point of view. My second requirement is that the webapps be seperated into
different log files. This, i've had trouble with, i've placed a
log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes but it seems to be ignored (log4j.jar is in
the WEB-INF/lib).

I could seperate things out in the the main log4j.properties but at least one
of the apps is comprised mostly of jsps without a specific package so i'm
unsure how to do this.

But where you've really confused me is the mention of log4j.xml, this is the
first i've seen on it. Could you perhaps tell me where it goes and point me to
something that can help me decide what to put in it?

In short I could do with a bit more detail if you wouldn't mind.

Ta
Matt