This is an old post but I would like to thank everyone who helped out.

The problem turned out to indexes on the mysql database. I added index and
everything runs great for my client on their small machine. <-- (This is
relative: I have a client running a sun server -  dual 3.4 with 2 GB ram.
This server runs my app fast!).

We will be using Netbeans profiler - JFluid to see if there are any other
possible fixes or enhancements that we can make. I am always trying to make
things run as fast and efficiently as possible.

Thanks again!