Hi,
Thanks for all the help everyone. The problem is solved.
Having my servlet mapped to "/" pattern was the problem. I changed the pattern for my servlet and added the entry in the welcome-file-list and the static resources show up and the page waits for the user response even with a gif image in the page.
Once again, thanks for all the help to all you guys who made valuable suggestions.
Thanks...Ram