Since 90% of your app is dynamic, there is a good chance that
Tomcat as a standalone may actually be more efficient. The work
the webserver and connector has to do to pass the requests/responses
back and forth to tomcat is all in addition to what Tomcat would have to
do anyway.

I would recommend giving Tomcat as a standalone a shot.
If you feel you need more performance, look into your options.
Putting a webserver in front of Tomcat is one of them.  Load balancing,
heavier hardware, clustering, are some others.

Remember, Tomcat, The Apache Web Server, and the connectors needed to
join the two don't have the same release cycles.  Besides performance,
you also want to consider maintenance and upkeep costs.

If you want to be real thorough, set up both scenarios and compare them
under load. Set up SSL under both scenerios. Also compare the effort to
get them up and running.  Then also take a look at the open bug list for
Tomcat to see how many issues are related to connectors.  Look at the
release cycles for tomcat, apache, and the connectors. Then look at how
much time you have budgeted for maintaining each setup.

Without looking at your app, hardware and business plan, nobody can tell
you for certain which way to go.

One thing to be aware of. There is a lot of outdated information on the
web claiming that Tomcat as a standalone is not ready for production.
If you come across one of these sites, make sure you know either when it
was written or what version of Tomcat they're talking about. Both Tomcat
and the JVMs needed to run it have made great strides in recent years.
What was accurate at the time it was written may be very inaccurate now.