At 01:11 AM 12/20/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Still remembering earlier bruises setting up Tomcat I try to run as plain
>vanilla as possible.
>
>Fedora Core 3, Tomcat 5.5.4 & Java 5 installed with rpm's
>
>Everything ran great. I got Tapestry examples working fine.
>
>And then based on working web apps, I moved some of the Tapestry jars into
>shared/lib. All of a sudden the classloader couldn't find
>ServletInputStream.

That's a bit bizarre

>Then I realised that I needed to install commons logging and log4j to get
>proper logging, so I put them in commons as described. Now I get a
>NoClassDefFound on LogFactory instead.

Did you put commons-logging.jar (*not* commons-logging-api.jar!!!!) along with logj4-jar in common/lib? And did you make sure you webapp doesn't contain another copy of commons-logging.jar in WEB-INF/lib?

>1) The logging guide advises to put the jars in commons, why not put them in
>server/lib and in the invidual WEB-INF/lib to get per webapp log files and
>no risk of classloading issues ?

First, this assumes that the server applies child-first classloading behavior which is recommended by the servlet spec, but not mandated. Tomcat implements this, and I actually like that it does, but most other servers I know of either don't provide for it or provide it as a non-default option. This means that putting your logging jars in WEB-INF/lib does not guarantee per-webapp log files unless you stick to Tomcat. This can be better accomplished by using a repository selector in Log4j (especially when Log4j-1.3 is released as it makes usage of such selectors much easier).
http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

>2) Am I just stupid to attempt to use shared/lib rather than just sticking
>everything in the war file ?

This is a nice little piece on the subject. I think you can extrapolate this to any framework or library, not just Struts...
http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/configuration.html#config_add

>3) Where can I find a list of the jar's present in server/lib commons/lib
>shared/lib in a fresh install ?

Just grab a zipped or gzipped copy and look for yourself.

Jake