Currently, tomcat 4.1.18 is running fine on host a. I want to upgrade tomcat from 4.1.18 to 4.1.31 on host a.
I install 4.1.31 and use the default config (only uncomment the ssl part). It startup with error message (at the end of this post).
Then I install the SAME keystore and copy of 4.1.31 to a linux host b. I use the default config again (only uncomment the ssl part) and it startup without problem.

Here is some information of host a and b:
host a: j2re1.4.1_06 / solaris 9
host b: j2re1.5.0 / redhat 9

I tried to diagnose with the following logic:
on host a, tomcat 4.1.18 running fine => no problem with /.keystore and j2re on host a
on host b, SAME copy of keystore and tomcat 4.1.31 running fine => no problem with the keystore file (double confirmed) and tomcat 4.1.31

I am SURE the following on host a,
- keystore path is correct, default at /.keystore for root
- keystore password is correct, default with "changeit"
- j2re is running fine, jsse integrated

So, what is going wrong? Specficially, tomcat 4.1.31 is NOT running on solaris 9.

Thanks for kind help.
Bill
PS: I know the following error message has been asked so many times. I have searched through the web and couldn't find similar case.

Dec 28, 2004 2:48:08 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
       at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:739)
       at java.security.KeyStore.load(KeyStore.java:652)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.getStore(JSSESocketFactory.java:278)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.getTrustStore(JSSESocketFactory.java:254)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE14SocketFactory.getTrustManagers(JSSE14SocketFactory.java:176)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE14SocketFactory.init(JSSE14SocketFactory.java:109)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.createSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:88)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.initEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:259)
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.init(Http11Protocol.java:137)
       at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1238)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:532)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2199)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:462)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:350)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
       at
       at
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:156)
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed:
java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed:
java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
       at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1240)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:532)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2199)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:462)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:350)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
       at
       at
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:156)
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException:  This server has not yet been started
LifecycleException:  This server has not yet been started
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2166)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:494)